Back in 2010, a group of local neighbors decided that the Inner Sunset needed a big festive event to bring the community together. In just three months they organized the first ever Inner Sunset Street Fair, which took place on May 15th 2010 on Irving Street between 9th and 10th Avenues and on 10th Avenue between Irving and Lincoln.
The event featured a live music stage, booths from local organizations, free dance and exercise lessons, a raffle, and more.
The event was a big step forward for the Inner Sunset: The people were finally in the streets and local organizers learned a lot about community-building. Future events – the Inner Sunset Street Fair 2011 and the Inner Sunset Sundays events in 2012 and onward – would show a dramatic evolution in making these events more fun, appealing, participatory, and valuable for community-building.
Event activities and features
- Tai chi lesson with Liping Zhu
- Yoga lesson with Kristen Chew
- Kids activities with Mr Barry
- The Bay Bombers roller derby girls
- Event raffle with prizes from local businesses
- Lindy Hop lesson with Lindy in the Park
- Street performers from SF Circus Center
- Over 40 booths from local vendors
Performances on Irving Street
- Lily Holbrook
- Pearse & Connolly Fife & Drum Band
- Kacey Johansing
- Buxter Hoot’n
- Poetry with Kyle Matthews and Chaya Grossberg
- Pamela Parker
- Troupe Tahiya bellydance performance
- Ben Brown and “Devil Said Maybe”
- Blind Willies
- MRH Trio
- Diane Nola & the 7 Against 8 Swing Band